I must say that the Middle School "Outdoor Ed" camping trips in Colorado are much different than the ones done here in Nebraska. Not to mention the fact that I feel jilted because we didn't get to have that when I was in middle school, but I may have to blame that mostly on going to school in a two room school house through my 8th grade. (yes, I only had three people in my grade). *** I actually started to giggle there*** The thought of a girl growing up in a midwestern town with only 100 people in it, and the small country school house the local kids gathered at, truly does sound like a pathetic boring life to live. But some day I should go through the stories I could tell from back in those old small town days. (there are a few funny stories, they weren't all bad)
Back on the subject. My niece went up into the mountains today for her one week outdoor ed camping trip. I loved it when both my girls got to go to their camping trips when they were in middle school. But, in Nebraska, the kids are sent off to a camp less than an hour from home at the beginning of the school year when the weather is still warm and the worse thing that could happen is some thunderstorms. It was a great experience for both my girls who each have their own wonderful memories from their trip. If I remember correctly, the girls learned how to start a fire, fish, cook on a pit, make a dream catcher out of twigs, etc. I can guarantee you that neither of my girls back in middle school would have enjoyed a whole week up in the mountains in JANUARY!!! (they just think they would)
My sister thinks this is absolutely the coolest (and sorta expensive) trip that these kids get to take. Could you imagine the amount of packing that would be involved for a week in the mountains? Versus, a week at a campground less than an hour from home at the end of the summer?? Listening to my niece giggling on the phone and very excitedly reading her list of bunk mates to her mom did bring back memories of my daughter's same excitement. However, I still question the idea of outdoor ed in the middle of winter. I have to admit, my daughters (who are grown now) probably have no memory of how to actually start a fire (with dry twigs just waiting to be lit) I KNOW they would not enjoy being in the mountains trying to figure out how to start wood on fire that is covered in snow. Not to mention how cold it would be. Sounds like it might be fun.....but honestly, glad the school is taking these kids out and teaching this, because if that task was left up to me to teach my girls these life lessons. Sorry, not gonna happen. LOL.... I however, would have no problems at all teaching my girls how to dig for shells on a beach, boogie board on the ocean, and be aware of the right amount of sun tan oil to achieve the perfect tan. My girls do love visits to Colorado and they both enjoy snowboarding...but typically one day down a mountain and many butt busters later, they are done after ONE DAY!!
Preparations for this trip began clear back before Thanksgiving. My sister, brother-in-law and niece and nephew came home for the Holiday. My sisters one request is that everyone take a few minutes to write a letter to my niece that could be given to her in January while away at camp. NOW THAT IS TOO COOL. Each night they leave a letter(s) on the childrens pillows before they go to bed to help with homesickness. The idea is to fill an envelope with letters and or cards from whoever they want, and rubber band the days that they want to recieve a letter. So my sister worked very hard on collecting tons of letters so that every night her daughter would have more than one letter to read and enjoy from all her loving family (who, by the way, are thanking GOD, they are not up there with her, *grins*) Ok..I may be speaking for myself...but this is MY blog. Now, if you know me, I am completely jealous that someone else has thought of this as an idea. BUT I am thinking .....TOO COOOOLLLL. So I embrace this opportunity to write my beautiful niece both a card and a letter. Pretty sure she will read what I wrote and squirm on how to try and explain to her bunkmates that her Aunt is a little looney!! Yeah...I sang happy birthday to her in a card. I know it's not her birthday..but I hope to get a smile (or red cheeks) . And the letter told her just how CRAZY she was for even thinking this trip was a cool idea. If her school ever plans a trip to a deserted Island...I am signing up to go along as a chaperone!!!
One of my last conversations with her before this exciting adventure was my words of wisdom on how to protect herself while up in the mountains. First of all, Aunt Tracy is very concerned about the Polar Bears, and I told her to please not get eaten by a Polar Bear while she is gone. She responds with, "there are NO POLAR BEARS in Colorado" I respond with...."how do you know? Seriously, they had a polar bear on LOST!!!" I told her if I had time before her mom goes home I would pick up a can of Polar Bear Repellant (AKA can of silly string) I don't know why she always says "Ohhh, Aunt Tracy!!!" Then I also mentioned we may need to also pack plenty of V-8 juice (skunk repellant may be necessary also) My niece believes that none of my concerns are anything she will need to worry about. But I will say "I SAID SO" if she gets sprayed by a skunk or chased up a tree by a Polar Bear!!!
Day one in the mountains is over for her. Have had no calls from her mom of any skunks or polar bears, so anxiously awaiting the results of the rest of her week. I'm hoping she sends her favorite Aunt Tracy a picture from the trip for me to share (more than likely a group picture of little girls with huge grins and bright red cheeks) But, Fer Sure I would post the pic if she comes across that Polar Bear!!!
~Momma T~
Hi MommaT!
ReplyDeleteSorry it took me so long to get back to you with this link, but my sister just finally got it to me on Friday. This link will give you info regarding masons and the prayer you should pray. It does also give instructions that you should have someone else with you as a prayer partner. Read it all thoroughly please. God bless you.
http://healingourhearts.org/Inner%20Healing/Masonic%20Prayer.htm